Monday, August 21, 2017

N7 - Tactical Squad.

Work on the first tactical squad has started, and I gotta say that I really regret building my marines before painting the bits individually first. Noah, the guy that runs the Games Workshop store that I frequent, suggested that building the Marines first, then painting was the best way to do it, however I feel that it makes it too hard to paint all the finer details of the models. Given that this unit is ten man unit, where none of the models are really too different from each other, I feel like we can get away with missing some of the details.

Since I am still trying to grow as a painter, I am using this first tactical squad as a learning opportunity to learn new techniques, and try new things. Just like I did with my first terminators, I am not going to fix the mistakes. Considering that I painted these guys after they were built, and that I was trying different things as I was building them, I can say that there are plenty of mistakes on this first tactical squad. 



If you take a look at the Marine on the far left, you will notice that his armor is darker, and scratched. This was my first attempt at creating a weathered, battle-torn look. I tried doing it on my own with no guidance. Overall, I hate the outcome. The way I tried to achieve the look was by first priming the model, then adding a layer of "leadbelcher". Once the leadbelcher paint dried out, I added a layer of "chipping medium". The role of the chipping medium is to allow for the easier creation of a chipped, weathered effect. The effect is achieved by applying a layer of chipping medium over the paint layer which will be painted UNDER the layer of paint to be chipped. The mistake I made was that I sprayed primer OVER the chipping medium, then painted a layer of "Dark Reaper" over that. when it came time to chip the model, the medium was already under two layers of paint and thus was not chipping as designed. In order to achieve some battle damage I scraped away at the paint layers using an X-acto knife. I also went over board with the use of Nuln oil to create a dirty messy, battle hardened look. After all was said and done, the model just looked dirty and scraped up. 



The one thing I am the most proud of, is the muzzle flashes. The Muzzle flashes that I used for these builds comes from Anvil Industry, which is where I get most of my third party bits, and I plan on doing most of the squad up with these muzzle flashes. 

As I build the remaining 6 members of this Tactical squad I will continue experimenting with weathering effects. My overall goal with this hobby is to get good enough to enter painting competitions. In the mean time I am just having fun with doing what I'm doing. 

If you would like to check out the progress of my army please check out my other social media accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment